Network Monitor tracking all essential student services (email, print servers, file servers, internet connection). Status is reported on a publicly accessible web page using a “traffic light” setup.
Creating the Network Monitor
- Installation of Linux/Apache server software with distribution of Netsaint (now called Nagios), a network monitoring tool already being used at University of Tasmania.
- CGI Front End uses integration with API for network monitoring tool
- Primarily used by Helpdesk and General Student population.
- Tool used for reporting services that are useful to students but pose no threat to security of IT infrastructure.
- Site created using CSS and W3C standards for easier accessibility.
- Url location: http://monitor.utas.edu.au (only accessible inside the firewall)